Our Intex Explorer K2 Kayak review for 2020 explores all of the features and benefits of one of the most popular inflatables for water sport enthusiasts. In short, the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is a sleek-shaped water vessel designed for paddling with ease. The bright, sporty colors and graphics of the kayak make it more visible and safer in the water. We believe that you’ll find that this 2-person sports kayak is ideal for experiencing kayak escapades in lakes and calm rivers.
Lightweight and compact, the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is easy to assemble and allows you to take the fun of kayaking wherever you go. The Explorer K2 is made with rugged vinyl construction and has an inflatable I-beam floor for comfort and rigidity. Its removable skeg provides directional stability, and the two adjustable and inflatable seats with backrests offer extra support.
You’ll also find that quick inflating or deflating is a breeze with a Boston valve on each side. Also, a grab line and grab handle at each end provide added convenience. The Intex Explored K2 Kayak has a place for a U.S. Coast Guard I.D. and a repair patch kit.
Thank you for visiting our site for people who love to be on the water. While here, you may be interested in learning more about other awesome inflatable lake toys.
Throughout the site, you can find our reviews about the best inflatable pontoon boats, the best inflatable paddle boards, the best fishing float tubes, the best portable fish finders, and the best towable tubes.
- Comfortable for Anyone: Kayak Includes an Adjustable Inflatable Seat With Backrest; Cockpit Designed for Comfort and Space
- Dimensions: Inflated Size 10 Feet 3 X 3 Feet X 1 Feet 8 Inch; Maximum Weight Capacity: 400 Pounds
- Directional Stability: Removable SKEG for Directional Stability
Intex Inflatable Kayak Options
|Explorer K2 Kayak||Excursion Pro||Challenger K1||Challenger K2||Dakota K2|
|Inflated Size||10’3″ X 3′ X 1’8″||12’7″ X 3’1″ X 1’6″||9′ X 2’6″ X 1’1″||11’6″ X 2’6″ X 1’3″||10’3″ X 3′ X 1’8″|
|Kayak Weight||30.60 lb||39.01 lb||23.9 lb||33.53 lb||30.60 lb|
|Weight Capacity||400 lb (180 kg)||400 lb (180 kg)||400 lb (180 kg)||220 lb (100 kg)||400 lb (180 kg)|
|Skegs Included||Standard directional||Standard directional & shallow water directional||Standard directional||Standard directional||Standard directional & shallow water directional|
|Repair Patch Included||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|3-Ply Laminate Construction with Polyester Core||✓|
|Integrated Fishing Rod Holders||✓|
|Inflatable Booster Pad for Elevated Seating||✓|
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak Features and Benefits
Includes Aluminum Oars and Air Pump
This lightweight and stable model allows you the flexibility of kayaking everywhere you go. The well-built kayak made of a durable vinyl material has an inflatable I-beam firm base which offers excellent poise while rowing. The Explorer Kayak has detachable skegs to provide stability, two adjustable inflatable seats with backrests for comfort, and deflectable breeze valves on each side.
Reasonable Price Point
The Explored K2 has a grab line and handles at each end of the kayak, as well as a Coast Guard I.D., and a repair kit.
This fantastic sports device from Intex comes at a reasonable price for its reliability. The Kayak’s sleek design provides ease of paddling. It’s lightweight and compact, making it apt for enjoying in mild waters like lakes and shallow rivers. It is also brightly colored to make it easily locatable in fast-moving and rough waters. This sleek inflatable boat has two flexible velcros attached to it and inflatable seats for calm kayaking experience with adjustable backrests. It also provides stability while riding with the aid of a detachable skeg.
Quickly Inflates and Deflates
Folks who have experienced the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, prefer it for its quick deflates and the durability of the vinyl material. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak’s other notable features include the removable skeg, aluminum paddles, adjustable seats with backs, repair kit, and a dual-action air pump to inflate it spontaneously. This product is known for the stable, comfortable seats attached to the base, with strong Velcro strips of varying sizes at two positions, giving a suitable modification of the seats to your preference and physique.
A Great Kayak That Will Add Enjoyment to Your Lake Time
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is the best in the market since it displays manageable performance in lakes with challenging rapids. The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak offers the experience of a lifetime with friends or family. It is economical, handy and you get to explore nature in leaping rivers or lakes. Its compactness will let you indulge in your favorite pastime whenever you feel like kayaking. It is safe since it is fitted with perfect seating options, durable grab handles, skeg, and an apt lightweight aluminum oar steering wheel. You can purchase the Intex Explorer here.
Intex Explorer K2 Kayak FAQs
How do you inflate the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak?
- Before starting, locate a clean area free of stones or other sharp objects.
- Unroll the kayak so it is laid out flat, and locate your pump.
- Use a hand or foot-operated air pump to inflate the boat. Do not use high-pressure air compressors.
- Adults should inflate the chambers following the numerical sequence marked on the valves.
- It is very important to follow the numerical sequence; failure to do so will result in an improperly inflated boat.
- Fill each chamber until it is stiff to the touch but NOT hard.
- Use the enclosed ruler to check the main chamber for proper inflation. DO NOT OVER INFLATE. Fill with cold air only.
- Air temperature and weather conditions do affect the internal air pressure of inflatable products. In cold weather, the product will lose some pressure due to the fact that the air will contract.
- If this occurs, you may want to add a little air to the product. However, in hot weather, the air will expand. You must let some air out to prevent the product from failing due to overpressure.
How do you deflate the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak?
- First, clean your kayak thoroughly following the care and maintenance instructions.
- Open all air valves, deflate kayak completely and remove all the accessories from the kayak.
- Flip the kayak over.
- Fold the left side of the kayak over and then fold the right side over the left.
- Fold the bow end twice to the middle of the kayak tightly while forcing out any remaining air; repeat this procedure for the stern.
- Replace all air valves’ caps. With two opposing folded sides, fold one end
- over the other like closing a book. Your kayak is ready for storage. Fold the kayak loosely and avoid sharp bends, corners, and creases which can damage the kayak.
Are inflatable kayaks worth It?
Inflatable technology has come a long way over the past few decades, and inflatable kayaks are worth the money. Inflatable kayaks used to be used primarily by military and commercial operations.
Now recreational companies have figured out a way to harness the same construction processes to build durable, professional, and high-quality watercraft that serves the needs of an ever-increasing number of people.
Are inflatable kayaks stable?
For the most part, inflatable kayaks are just as stable as traditional kayaks. If you think of inflatables more like a stiff whitewater raft, then you realize that these vessels have some heft and ruggedness to them.
Just like a regular kayak, however, they do have a tipping point and have variable primary and secondary stability. If you’re looking at standing up in your kayak for fishing or other purposes, make sure to do some research because some inflatable kayaks might not be as well-equipped for that as others due to varying degrees of “hardness” in the floors of the kayaks.
For fishing, you may be more interested in a fishing float tube.
How to inflatable kayaks compare to normal ones?
Everyone enjoys the ease and convenience of an inflatable vs. a traditional kayak, but all that convenience will amount to nothing if you get in the water and it maneuvers terribly.
One of the keys to performance is rigidity. Not just that, but having the proper keel and bow shape affect performance as well. That’s where inflatable technology has made leaps and bounds over the years.
To be fair, a good inflatable kayak will never outperform a high performance traditional kayak. They just can’t be made with that degree of precision. But the average recreational kayaker will hardly notice the difference between a good quality inflatable kayak and an average traditional kayak.
- Be responsible, do not neglect the safety rules, this could jeopardize your life and the lives of others.
- Always keep control of your boat.
- Respect local regulations and practices.
- Near the shore, navigate in the designated boating area.
- Remember that weather conditions can rapidly deteriorate. Always be sure that you can reach shelter rapidly.
- Everyone on board must always wear a personal flotation device (PFD).
- Do not drink alcohol or take drugs before or while operating your boat.
- Maintain passenger sobriety.
- Do not exceed the authorized number of persons or weight.
- Make sure your passengers remain seated at all times.
- At planning speeds, in rough water or during sharp turns, all passengers should position themselves in seats or on the floor.
- No bow-riding. Bow-riding is illegal in most areas and is extremely dangerous.
- Be especially careful when docking. Arms and legs may be injured if they are outside the boat.
- Keep clear of swimmers and divers. Always avoid areas where divers/swimmers are in the water.
- Keep a sharp lookout especially when operating near beaches and launch sites.
- The Alpha flag indicates the proximity of divers.
- You MUST maintain a safe distance as required by your local boating laws, which may range from 50 meters (164 feet) to 91 meters (300 feet).
- Avoid sharp turns at high speeds. You could get ejected from the boat.
- Do not make changes in direction without advising passengers.
- Avoid all contact between the buoyancy tubes and sharp objects or aggressive liquids
- Do not smoke on board.
What People Are Saying About the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
“So much fun!”
I love this kayak! You can go swimming in the middle of the lake. Re-entering is easy and it won’t flip. When you remove both seats 2 people can comfortably sit on the inflated floor facing each other and enjoy a lazy afternoon on the water. You can also buy kayak anchor and enjoy the sunshine without a drift.Intex Explorer K2 Kayaker
“Awesome bang for your buck!!“
Used it once so far. It was stable easy to maneuver. I used it for fishing. It stayed inflated the whole time. I was on the water for about 6 hours. My only little downside of it is that it is light so when the wind picks up it swings you around a lot easier than on a regular kayak. No issues while paddling, only when sitting there trying to cast and catch fish. I highly recommend it if you don’t want to spend a fortune and save space. Super pleased with this purchase.Intex Explorer K2 Kayaker
“Works well, even for a heavier person.”
We really like this the kids are having a great time with it. I am a heavier person 300 lbs it holds my weight well but the seats don’t support my back. I found it best to not use the seat and move 3/4 of the way back in the kayak.
One thing to be aware of is the box states it will hold 400lbs but the kayak states max weight is 330 lbs. The kayak handles very well there is a fairly strong current on our river but we didn’t have any problems navigating the kayak. The kayak inflates quickly and I would purchase this again.Intex Explorer K2 Kayaker