Taking a break from the sun is very important when spending the day on the water. Not only can your skin use a break, but some shade might allow you to spend even more time on the water. The best pontoon boat sun shades for 2020 are great options for avoiding the sun while enjoying a great day on the lake, river or ocean.
While most newer boats have biminis and other sun shades included with the purchase of your pontoon boat, older models may not provide any ability to get out of the sun.
Below are our top pontoon boat shades for 2020 that you may want to consider. While here, you may also want to review our post on replacement bimini tops and additional pontoon enclosures.
Our Top Picks for Pontoon Boat Sun Shades 2020
|1. Bow Bimini by MSC||A great new or replacement or bimini with many size options.|
|2. AnchorShade by Taylor Made||Huge umbrella sun shade with post and straps for easy mounting.|
|3. Hydra Shade by Hospitality Rattan||Unbrella sun shade with UV protection and very adjustable.|
|4. Gazebo by Taylor Made||Provides most shade but a little more cumbersome.|
|5. Umbrella Holder by Shady Monkey||If you need a mount, this one will last.|
|6. Versa-Brella by Sport Brella||Provided the most utility.|
1. Bow Bimini Top Boat Cover by MSC
Bimini tops on pontoon boats offer a ton of shade and can be mounted to just about every pontoon boat. If you have a bimini and need to replace it, it’s easier than you think. The great things about biminis are that they are easy to put up and easy to put down for storage. Most of them come with tarps that you can zip up to protect them while they are not in use. It’s always good to keep an eye on your bimini when you are going under bridges. We’ve seen way too many biminis damaged due to high water levels or low bridges.
Take time to make sure you have the right measurements and choose the right bimini top that fits your boat. Our favorite bimini is the bow bimini top by MSC. It’s made of marine-grade 600D polyester canvas with a double PU Coating. The 1” anti-rust and strong aluminum frame should hold up over the long-term. It also contains one storage boot so it stays kept up nice and out of the elements when not in use.
- Made of 600D polyester canvas with double PU Coating,Marine grade
- 1” anti-rust and strong Aluminum Frame
- Contains Two rear support pole and one storage boot
2. AnchorShade III Sun Shades by Taylor Made Products
The AnchorShade III by Taylor Made is an awesome umbrella type shade that comes with a center post and straps for easy mounting to your boat. Made of nylon, the AnchorShade pole can lock into place up to 8′ high. It’s made of lightweight, mildew, and fade resistant UV-treated material.
The AnshorShade II sunshade also offers excellent sun protection and blocks out 85-90% of harmful rays. The adjustable straps are non-corrosive and offer a ton of mounting flexibility. You’ll also love the numerous color options and the carrying bag for easy storage.
My wife and I hooked up this umbrella and it provided a lot of shade. The lower you set it the more shade you have. You are not suppose to use it while moving but we took it slow and it was fine. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for instant shade.-AnchorShade Customer
- Adjustable pole locks in place up to 8'
- Lightweight, mildew/fade resistant UV-treated nylon top
- Excellent sun protection, blocks out 85-90% of harmful rays
3. Hydra Shade by Hospitality Rattan
The Hospitality Rattan Hydra Shade sun shade is a marine-grade UV protected umbrella that can mount anywhere. The umbrella design allows for wind venting without the loss of sun protection and it is constructed of marine quality stainless steel and lightweight aluminum so it will be fine near saltwater.
The Hydra Shade is also mildew, stain and sunlight fade-resistant and designed to be used with any cylinder or rod holder opening, such as a fishing rod holder. You’ll enjoy the tilt and telescoping height adjustment so you can block out the perfect amount of sun. Also included are a carrying case, beach spike, and rod holder expansion w/ lock mechanism.
- Umbrella Designs Allows wind venting without loss of sun protection
- Constructed of marine quality stainless Steel and lightweight aluminum
- Mildew, stain and sunlight fade resistant
4. Easy-Up Gazebo Pontoon Shade Top by Taylor Made Products
We’ve discussed the gazebo pontoon boat sun shade in the past and found that it’s an awesome option to get out of the sun and can be used in addition to a bimini.
Available in 9 colors so you can match your boat, the gazebo pontoon sun shade by Taylor Made is a quick and easy way to gain additional shaded area on your pontoon boat. The top accommodates both 96″ and 102″ wide boats and extends out to 8′ of coverage. It’s supported by a shock-absorbing fiberglass pole framework that breaks down for easy storage into the included carrying case. It is also made of a UV-protected polyester material
- A quick and easy way to gain additional shaded area on your pontoon boat
- Top accommodates both 96" and 102" wide boats and extends out to 8' of coverage
- Supported by shock ocrded fiberglass pole framework that breaks down for easy storage
5. Adjustable Deck Mount Patio Umbrella Holder by Shady Monkey
If you already have a heavy-duty patio sun shade umbrella and just want to bring it aboard you pontoon, you can use this adjustable deck mount patio umbrella holder by Shady Monkey. Just be careful in mounting it to your pontoon because you will be able to see the holes if you ever take it off. It could also be a tripping hazard in placed in the wrong spot. Shady Monkey claims it’s the strongest outdoor umbrella/flag pole holder that you can buy! It includes an exclusive safety pin that holds your umbrella or flag pole securely. The holder comes with a lifetime warranty and is made from coated steel. It will hold umbrellas or flag poles with a pole diameter of 1 1/2″ up to 1 3/4″.
- The strongest outdoor umbrella/flag pole holder you can buy! Perfect for decks, docks, pontoons, patios, picnic tables and...
- Our exclusive safety pin holds your umbrella or flag pole securely. NOTE: You must drill a 5/16" hole in your pole for the...
- Lifetime Warranty. Made from coated steel.
6. Versa-Brella Adjustable Umbrella by Sport-Brella
We love the versatility of this sunshade and it can be mounted just about anywhere. It’s not big, and you’ll need to put it down while you are moving, but it just may do the trick. The Versa-Brella offers protection from the sun for any outdoor adventure. The UPF 50+ protection blocks 99.5% of UVA and UVB light to help keep skin safe. With a compact carrying case and a weight of fewer than 2 pounds, the Versa-Brella also offers hassle-free set-up and easy transportation.
- UPF 50+ Protection; The Versa brella is a clamp on shade canopy umbrella that offers UPF 50+ Protection to help keep skin...
- RUGGED Cover AND DURABLE CONNECTOR: The rugged canopy cover won’t rip or tear and is fundamental for sun Protection; The...
- ADJUSTS TO ANY ANGLE: The 4 way, 360 degree swivel and 2 push button hinges allows the Versa brella to be adjusted to any...
More from Pontoon Authority
- 5 Best Floating Water Mats for 2020 (The Others are Too Small and Less Durable)
- Best Plastic Bunk Covers and Guides for your Pontoon Trailer
- Boat Tie Up Systems Featuring the Boat Rope Retractable Mooring Line
- Best Snow Cover for Pontoon Boats in 2020
- 6 Best Pontoon Boat Sun Shades for 2020